On April 2, 2013, eight Carlow MBA students participated in the networking event “View from the C-Suite: Insights from Women Who Cracked the Glass Ceiling” by MBA Women International – Pittsburgh Chapter. The students enjoyed dinner and intimate conversations with women who have earned a voice in the executive suite, including Karen L. Larrimer, EVP, Chief Marketing Officer, PNC, Donna Sturgess, President, Buyology, Executive in Residence, CMU, and Audrey Russo, President and CEO, Pittsburgh Technology Council.
Key insights shared by these inspirational leaders include (thanks to MBA student LaToya Johnson for this summary):
– “Stay out of the comfort zone”. This helps build confidence.
– Ask for what you want. Don’t assume management will always approach you.
– Set your own boundaries.
– Be efficient and organized. Touch everything once and deal with things in the moment.
– Get involved in things that you are passionate about.
– Learn how to mesh opposites.
– Be present, ask, and demand.
– Best advice “No one can take away your spirit; you can only give it away.”
– Networking is good but you also need friends.
– Leadership has to be diverse.
– Brands that win have emotional connection with their customers.
– There is so much competition in today’s business so you have to know the consumer beyond the spreadsheet.
– Start-ups are hard!! Give it all you got & know what you are good at.
– Do your homework on the company you want to work for. Research the company.
– Know your strengths, weakness, and what you can fall back on.
MBA student Diane Christian reflected on her experience at this event: Continue reading